Saturday, April 12, 2014

Your Friday Night Sing-Along Song

Most weeks, I post a link on my facebook page to a song on Youtube. The Friday night sing-along song. Sometimes I pick a random song but more often it has meaning for me: for that day, that week, or a "dedication" of sorts to one of my people. I have also done this to work through my grief when some of my people have died. Sharing my emotions through someone else's music is therapy. Yesterday there was a post from Brother Three about the worst song ever. There were facebook discussions and some hilarious comments about what is/could be the worst song ever. Music is therapy. Music causes us to celebrate, to move physically, to move emotionally, to feel.

Three things about my relationship to music:

- I can't sing. Really. I DO sing but can not carry a tune. I joke that I am a graduate of the Tone Deaf Music School. I don't even know what tone deaf really means. I love singing along and will continue to do it the company of those who will not mock me, who will sing along with me, or alone in my car or house. Singing frees me. Belting out a favourite (or a not-favourite) song puts me in a place of an uninhibited child, filled with joy, who loves music and singing. Watch children listening to music. They just naturally move and sing. The Kid will sing along with me. The Kid and I have a few "play it again, Sam" songs & albums that accompany us on our too-infrequent road trips. And we sing. She lets me sing. She encourages me to sing. Some of our best memories are singing along together. When she was little, I told her I wrote most of the songs on the radio. Too bad for me she was too intelligent to buy into that. Sing along next time you hear a song you love. Be that child enjoying the music and sing along just for the sheer joy of doing so.

- There is an apt and perfect lyric for every situation. Often I will pepper a conversation or have a quick comeback that is a lyric. Sometimes I will sing the lyric, but due to the can't-sing noted above, I usually just quote the lyric. Try this. You will find a good lyric for every situation. It will cheer you, centre you, focus you, bring your emotions out and public about any situation. This is a good thing. It taps into your true and authentic self. And it is often crack-me-up hilarious. Music and laughter: what better way to get through life than using those tools to make it better?

- I carry songs in my head all the time. (Ear worm is the term for the song that gets stuck in your head. The best way to get an ear worm out is to listen to the song. Another method, not quite as effective, is singing the ear worm). I get ear worms, but I'm talking about carrying songs with me that inspire me. Theme songs, if you will. They change often but they are one of my most effective ways to get through any obstacle. I have different theme songs I carry for different situations. I use my theme songs for not just obstacles, but also for joy and celebration. While at the Chopra centre last fall, part of their Seduction of Spirit session was Song of the Day. Right up my alley. Find a song or two or a dozen to carry with you. It will open you up to dealing with anything and celebrating anything.

I have the radio on right now, set to an "oldies" station. It is more than background noise in my quiet house, It is me connecting with my inner self; it is a memory-jogger; it is an inspiration. Put more music into your life. Music will make you cry, laugh, celebrate, dance, bring you joy, feed your soul. We are wired for music. Sing along!

No comments:

Post a Comment