Monday, June 11, 2012

The Soccer Field


I stood on my balcony last night. It was a cool – no, cold – evening for early June. The day had been cloudy with high winds all day. The temperature had only reached eleven degrees, but I’m sure it was only about zero with the wind chill. The sun was just setting and when there was a break in the traffic, I could hear frogs ribbitting and singing in the soccer field across from my house. We’d had rain for a few days and the northeast corner of the field was now a puddle. I guess that is where the frogs were. There is no other pond or creek nearby. It was peaceful and the frogs sounded mournful.
Three things about the soccer field:

- The first summer I lived here I saw a fox on the south end of the field, near a stand of bush that has not yet been developed into light industrial enterprises, like the rest of this area. I was thrilled to see this piece of nature out my window. As time went by, I often saw two foxes lying in the city-trimmed grass on the soccer field. After a few weeks, I saw two baby foxes, out with their parents, sun tanning and playing together, jumping and wrestling. Each summer I watched for the foxes, and enjoyed seeing the new babies grow up. I bought binoculars to get an up close view. Two years ago, I saw them only once, and last year not at all. I’m concerned about where they have gone. Pushed out by the intrusion of too many humans, no doubt; people using the soccer field for an off-leash area and a regular group of young men who come to fly their remote control helicopters and airplanes around the soccer field.  

- There are occasional deer who visit the soccer field. Majestic and wondrous, having a late lunch or bedtime snack on the well-tended grass.  The Kid and I once watched one of the foxes start to chase a deer that was protecting her fawn, which was almost hidden in the bush. It was fascinating to watch and I wanted them both “to win”.  The deer prevailed after many minutes of what looked like a game of tag, back safely with her baby, and they bounded off into the bush, while the fox lay panting in the cool grass.
- A large number of birds eat on the soccer field as well. Crows, ravens, gulls, robins, song birds, all sharing a snack of seeds and worms, eating together in peace. In the fall, as the leaves are beginning to turn, the crows gather on the branches and tops of the trees. There are hundreds of them, and in unison they take flight and head southeast. I’m sure they are going to the trees that line the north hill in my city. There are often thousands and thousands of crows in those north hill trees in the fall, turning the red and yellow fall colours black with their presence.

Sitting on my balcony, I can take a few minutes to feed my soul and find peace in this small piece of nature with all its diversity. This magical spot sits in the middle of a light industrial development on the north and south, with train tracks adjacent on the west and a major city road on the east. The wildlife and changing seasons help me keep in touch with what is real, and I’m grateful. I will enjoy this as often as I can for as long as I can, because I’m sure, someday, the soccer association will sell the land, and the city will sell the stand of bush. I hope that doesn’t happen for a long time. I need place where I can still hear frogs sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment