I like watching The Cat stretch after a long cat nap and I love the feeling of a big s-t-r-e-t-c-h after sitting at my desk, on the couch, or being cooped up in a car. Few things feel as good as a deep breath and re-awakening my body as I extend my arms, legs, diaphram and shake off the sluggishness.
With all the areas in my life that I try to balance, I have to take time to stretch in other ways than just the physical. It's hard to remember to do this and it's hard to find the energy, at times. Like the physical stretch, these other stretches help create the energy to go a little farther, try a little harder, experience more. Physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, social: each of these areas requires care. When I focus on one area and not the rest, the neglected areas get sluggish.
Stretches, whether large or small, are needed to remind myself that life is multi-faceted. Too much energy spent in one area cramps the rest, puts part of me to sleep, like a dangling leg that was tucked up underneath me for too long. It's tough to do and then the whole time issue I struggle with smacks me and then the whole balance question takes me to darker parts of myself. And on it goes. When I get to this stage, I REALLY need to stretch. And relax, and continue on, with self in balance for a time.
Three stretches I've done recently:
- I joined an Improv class. I needed to add more fun to my life. Fun it is! Two hours of laughter and creativity (mine and others) shuts off the daily 'shoulds' and responsibiliites. It has also stretched my spontaneous self, my physical self, my awareness of others, my listening skills, and my joy.
- I asked for help at work. This was a big deal for me; I'm doing work I haven't done before, and it is very important to me to be able to portray an aura of confidence with this new work. Letting others know I am willing to learn from others and need direction and guidance opened another new door. The process of doing this improved my credibilty, and stretched not just my comfort zone, but the contraction and relaxation after the stretch changed my perception of needing to be perfect. It was both humbling and freeing.
- I bid on an incomplete set of old dishes at a silent auction. This silent auction was at a non-profit second hand store. I thought the dishes were pretty and they reminded me of my Mom and my childhood. I am working at getting rid of stuff in my house and certainly don't need to accumlate more. I wrote down the bid on a whim, based on the emotions I felt looking at these dishes. My bid was successful and I won the dishes. Now I have more stuff in my house and I have dishes I don't need. I am so happy to have them, though. This spur of the moment desire for the dishes stretched my awareness that I can fill my life with what I want. This expands to much more than surrounding myself with things - I can surround myself with people, experiences, and thoughts, that bring me joy and peace. I will put the dishes in my cupboard as the every day dishes for myself. I can treat myself every day by eating from a plate I love.
Today is Sunday, which has over time turned into my chore day. One of my chores today will be finding a stretch for myself. I don't know yet what that might be - it could even be the stretch of tackling the dreaded "sort all the papers" chore, but I will stretch something, somehow, somewhere today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment