Yesterday a terrible winter storm blew in and I knew I wouldn't be going out. I had some things planned to keep me busy, but I knew it would be a long day, with no other people around me. I need to stay socially active and although I have times where I crave, and need, to be alone, too much alone time makes me a little weird. Even with the storm, I had great connections with people.
Three connections in the storm:
-While checking facebook, the chat window popped up. I don't often use the chat feature, but this was from a friend I haven't seen for about ten years. We have been trying to make time to get together for a few weeks, since reconnecting on facebook. We had an on-line chat and got caught up on some stuff and have arranged a time to visit face-to-face. While I was chatting with her, another chat window popped up; this one from a friend who lives hundreds of miles away. It was very strange to be having these two on-line conversations at once. I very much enjoyed my visits with these two ladies, and think I may chat on line more often.
-Sister Three and Sister Two both phoned, and with each of them I had long conversations, about 'just stuff'. It was more like we were sitting together and talking, and not phone calls where we relay information.
-Hours later, in the early evening, again two phone calls; one from The Kid (who hates the phone) and one from a long time friend who lives many miles away. The Kid and I just talked about stuff, as well. This is unusual for us when we are on the phone. As I mentioned, she hates being on the phone and our calls are generally short and only to convey information. The long time friend and I don't talk as often as either of us would like - life gets in the way, you know. We discussed some tough times going on for her. That's how long time friends are - time goes by without much contact, but there is still the trust and connection to open your hearts and souls.
The storm continues today and I will likely have to go out to do some grocery shopping. I also want to visit a colleague in the hospital. I know it's time for me to see people, even strangers, face to face. However, if I chose to spend one more day by myself, I know I am not alone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Technology is great for keeping people connected, but so often those are brief, rushed connections. It is good to be reminded that we can just talk to those we want to connect with, too. Thanks!
ReplyDelete