I've talked about reclaiming myself and one step in this is going back to my maiden name. The Kid had some issues with this for awhile, but she is now comfortable with the idea. I asked one staff person at the local registries office about the steps to do this and she told me all I have to do is start using that name again. I've made a list of all the places I need to notify and it is a long list. I haven't yet done this, as I am quite overwhelmed at all the calls, emails, and letters to put the word out. It is still important to me. My name is my identity and the married name I've carried for over 30 years really has no meaning for me, but for so many people other than myself, that is my identity. I've been using this name for many years but it doesn't feel in my heart that that is who I am.
Three things about names:
-I go to a lab regularly for bloodwork and there are often twenty or more people waiting. Not so long ago, there were only four of us in the waiting room: me, a young lady about twenty, and an older lady with her son. The lab tech called "Angeline" and both the 20-something and the 70-something ladies stood up. What are the chances of three females randomly being in the same place, and two are named Angeline when they are two generations apart in age?
-I used to work with a man named Oberg. This is pronounced with the stress on the 'O'. A colleague always pronounced it O'Berg, with the emphasis on the 'Berg'. This drove me nuts - I don't know why it bothered me; the gentleman in question never corrected her.
-Why are nicknames called nicknames? I have had numerous nicknames from various people throughout my life, but I've never had one nickname that all my people use. I'm glad for this, I think, that I am truly known by my name. Of all the nicknames I have, not one is used by more than one person. Most have been an individual term of endearment used by one person, that indentifies my relationship with that person.
I will take the step to start using my maiden name again, once I get over the hump of figuring out how to notify over three dozen companies and agencies, not to mention the scores of people I know outside of business relationships. I yam who I yam.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment