Sunday, December 6, 2009

How to manage this week?

I just spent three days with some of my female family - waiting out a winter storm. I marvel that four women could spend such a length of time together is such small quarters and not have any arguments. We didn't even really drive each other nuts. And now they've gone home. My home feels big and empty, and my heart is empty, too.

The storm has left some in-town raods impassable and it will be days until the crews can get them cleared. Some will likely not be cleared at all. I don't like winter driving at all and underneath the snow is inches of ice from the storm earlier in the week.

A cold front has moved in today as well and we can expect night-time temperatures lower than -30 and daytime highs of only about -20. I am disliking winter more and more each year. It is a struggle to not get depressed with the short hours of daylight, extreme cold, and snow piled everywhere. I will have to force myself to get out in order to go to work.

And right now, even though I had both a very peaceful and fun weekend, I am struggling to feel good about things. I'm lonely with my family gone and dreading the cold weather this week. I think brother 3 is right: his observation is that the worst thing about winter is the anticipation of how bad it will be.

So, what can I do to get through the next few very cold days, with an empty house and empty heart?
-Remember that the cold WILL end. It always does. And once I'm bundled up and moving around outside, I know it's more tolerable than what I think it will be.

-Create something to look forward to every day: out to Tai Chi? Scrapbooking? Napping? Time alone to reflect? Getting Christmas things done? There are many small things I can do that I love.

-Enjoy the time alone, and stay in touch with my friends and family via phone and internet.

I hope this mini-plan works. I really just want to stay home, cocooned, and not face the world for awhile.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to your post. You will get through it, Kelly. Remember, just like the winter days don't last forever, neither do the feelings of emptiness. It's just a cold front, passing through.

    ReplyDelete