Sunday, August 23, 2009

Facebook

Well, there are a lot of things one could say about Facebook, and there are days I wonder why I use it. The whole social networking thing has created articles, books, and strong opinions. It seems whenever I've decided to discontinue my facebook account, someone posts something that cracks me up.
When I started facebooking, I played some games and accepted friend invitations from almost anyone I know who sent the request. Now I've deleted some friends and am more choosy about who and why I allow people into my facebook life. I don't use other applications too often and don't join every facebook cause or page that comes my way.
I try to avoid the emotional, dramatic rants that some people post. "OMG! I love my man so much. He is the best and I can imagine life without him" or "Everyone who makes me mad should be boiled in oil and fried til they die" or "Why doesn't anyone love me for who I am?". Although I've slipped occasionally into the emotional life splashed all over the internet, I try to keep it light, and most people I am facebook friends with do the same, or at least just a brief status update on what is going on that day.
Three things I like about facebook:
-Running jokes and gags with my family. We are a very funny bunch and sometimes the humour doesn't quite translate to the abbreviated written word, but 'they get it'.
-Contact with friends who had moved out of my life. People move on and move away. Facebook has brought a couple old friends back from years ago and I keep in touch with newer frineds that have recently moved long distances away. One friend who moved to Australia is keeping all of us back here up to date with her daily 'stuff' and I love seeing her pictures and stories of her new life. Former work colleagues keep in touch with how their new lives are.
-Contact with a whole bunch of family and cousins who I otherwise wouldn't see or talk to for years. Again, the time and distance thing. This has been amazing for me, with my bent for family history and family ties.
I have fun with it.

1 comment:

  1. Coming from a large family spread out across the country (and the world!), I value the family connections Facebook provides as well. Also, it turns out I'm not a bad (virtual) farmer!! lol

    ReplyDelete