Sunday, November 4, 2012

I'll Do It Later

The sun came out today, after two weeks of gray, of snow, of fog. My energy level today was higher than it has been for days. I try to feed my soul and work at not reacting to the weather. It's hard, though. I am wired for sunshine; I think most of us are. I polished off most of my weekly chores in a short amount of time as the sun warmed my house and my soul. As I scrubbed and cleaned, chopped vegetables, put Halloween paraphernalia away, organized and straightened up, I knew there was so much more I could be doing and that I wanted to be doing. I thought of all the things I've been procrastinating about. Some of my put-it-off-until-another-day items have been put off for months. I can't blame the weather for those ones!

Three things that are waiting for me:

- My cupboard door hinge broke months ago. At first, I was anxious to get it fixed. I put off 0going to buy a new hinge because I dread going into any store these days. (More about that 'affliction' another time). I also know I need help to fix this door. People have offered, but I don't have the hinge. As time went by, I kind of liked not having a door on that cupboard. It is certainly easier to get things in and out of a cramped corner cabinet with no door. It looks quite awful, though. It can't be organized enough to look attractive.

- I bought a new computer earlier this year. I have programs I want to load and changes I want to make. I haven't done it yet. I haven't felt like it. It's as simple as that. Changing computers is an exercise in patience. It never goes smoothly for me. I don't know enough about them to fix the little glitches that arise. I haven't felt like it because I don't want to deal with my own frustration and face my own lack of knowledge.

- I have a plan in my head for displaying family pictures and family history information. This is a beautiful mural in my mind. I spent time and money finding frames, wall decorations, paper, and various items to attach things to the wall. I really want to get this done! My excuse for not starting (never mind completing) this is I want someone to help. It's much easier to hang things on walls with a second set of eyes to see what is not straight, what is too close together, what is too high or too low. I haven't asked anyone to help. I've put THAT off because I've decided I need to either wash the walls or paint before I can arrange a helper. Preparing the wall sounds like work.

I have many, many more tasks and chores and projects just waiting for me to decide it's the right time. I haven't told you about the dishwasher that doesn't work or the battery that needs replacing or the organizing of my work room or the unwashed car or the purging of too much stuff in my home.  I can't blame any of this on the weather; they've been waiting for many sunny days. I can't blame any of this on not enough time; there is always enough time to do what I truly, truly want. I DO want to get all of these projects done. However, they involve work of some sort. I am trying to feed my soul and enjoy my minutes and days. Who wants obligations to interfere with life and sunshine and joy and laughter and happiness and peace and soul-feeding and time spent with people? Not I; I have enough of that with my work-for-money life and my daily-living-chores. Some day the things I've been putting off may become important enough to just do them. In the meantime, come to visit and we'll find something great to do, whether the sun is shining or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment