Three thoughts about today:
-As a child in small town Alberta, and only 20 years after World War II, November 11 was a big deal. Every family in town had been touched by World War II. I could feel the effects in town. One year in particular I remember a colouring contest for all the children. The page to colour was poppies and crosses. I don't remember who won - I know it wasn't me - but I clearly remember hundreds of colored posters in the store windows, being in awe, and thinking each poppy stood for someone who died. For my own daughter, growing up forty years after The War, the day was a day taught in history and social studies classes. Some of her great uncles and her paternal grandfather had served, but there was/is no direct effect on her life. And now, 60 years later, the meaning of the day gets more lost. Just one more day off work and all the stores open, with some not even closing in the morning.
-I had uncles on both sides of the family who served. My Dad was not able to, due to medical reasons. I have heard both that it was due to flat feet and to his heart murmur. It doesn't matter the reason because not fighting for his country affected his life ever after, and to a degree, all eight of his children. His mother was of German heritage and came to Canada in the early 1900's. Brother One pointed out a few years ago that both WWI and WWII would have been especially hard on her. I'm sure there would have been prejudice and ignorance from people around her. Three of her fours sons served in WWII, in three branches of the Armed Forces. How did she cope with three sons away, fighting, not knowing if they would return, and knowing they were fighting her own country, perhaps bombing and shooting her own brothers, cousins, sisters, friends?
-Today we are still sending young men to be killed. I struggle with remembering the idea that this is for the better good. Is it? Do we only justify it that way to be able to sleep at night? But we also can not stand by and let 'the biggest bullies in the schoolyard' continue to hurt, maim, and kill thousands of innocent people. I struggle with my thoughts and feelings about war, but am comfortable in my own home, do not have to make decisions, and put it out of my mind for days and weeks at a time. I only know war as a concept.
Lest we forget.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh, Kelly! You are so wise!
ReplyDelete